Classroom Spotlight: Student Standing Desks
- School: Deer Creek Middle School
- Location: Jefferson County School District, CO
- Class: 30 students, 8th grade
- Configuration: Interactive whiteboard, projector, shared sets of Apple iPads, LearnFit
An Outlet for Energy
Deer Creek Middle School uses an interdisciplinary curriculum focusing on application of STEM areas to a problem-based learning model. Students learn to work in collaborative teams to put their knowledge into action to solve real-world problems.
After introducing LearnFit® Standing Desks to its language arts class, the school is leveraging the mobility and height-adjustment of the desks, allowing easy break-outs of students into small groups for script writing, debate preparation, short story diagramming or solo essay work. Notably, students now have a natural outlet for fidgeting, being able to adjust their position and posture to expend pent-up energy, which can lead to more alert and attentive behavior.
Observations from the teacher & principal
Copyright Ergotron 2014
- The introduction of adjustable desks into the classroom was enthusiastically embraced by students, with standing behavior increasing over time.
- Kids “love” the LearnFit: students intuitively move at their own comfort- or need-level appropriate to the task at hand, helping them manage their energy levels.
- Increased movement by students during the day has proven NOT to be a distraction to instruction.