Classroom Spotlight: Student Standing Desks
- School: Alexandria Country Day School
- Location: Private School, Alexandria, VA
- Class: 5th Grade
- Configuration: iPads, projectors, floor-ceiling white board walls, LearnFit
Creating a Responsive Classroom Design
An effective classroom redesign isn’t just prettier. Alexandria Country Day School worked in collaboration with the New York School of Interior Design to create dynamic learning spaces using LearnFit® Standing Desks that can be easily reconfigured to the needs of students, teachers and the lesson.
The experience of faculty has been positive: students are better engaged while providing opportunities to arrange the room so that the physical space never gets in the way of learning the material.
Observations from the administrator, teacher and designer
Copyright Ergotron 2016
- A mobile sit-stand desk solution offers the most flexibility to meet demands of instruction, accommodating different teaching styles.
- A flexible classroom environment allows adaptation as educational approaches change over time, making these mobile sit-stand desks a long-term solution.
- Adjustable desks provide students with agency to decide what is best for them in the moment.
- Contrary to expectations, giving students’ the ability to move and adjust their desks has not resulted in classroom disruptions.